Image by Ksenia Kuleshova, 2017 recipient of the LHSA PHotogarphy Grant
The second annual LHSA Photography Grant in the amount of $5,000 will be awarded in October 2018. Open to all photographers, the grant has been established to provide financial support for deserving, talented photographers, who are starting or in the process of completing a personal photographic project and to provide opportunities for their work to be seen by a larger audience.
The 2017 winner was Ksenia Kuleshova whose work on her Abkhazia Project earned her top honors. She has gone on to continue her master’s studies and has received multiple awards, including photojournalism work that has appeared in the New York Times.
In addition to the cash award, the winner will be featured in LHSA’s prestigious quarterly journal, Viewfinder, and will be considered for an exhibition at a Leica Store or Gallery in North America.
A jury of distinguished photographers: Craig Semetko, Maggie Steber, and Peter Turnley will select the recipient. The grant winner will be announced at the LHSA Annual Meeting in Wetzlar: Oct 4-7, 2018.
To download the application guidelines click here: 2018 Photography Grant Final.
Applications shall be accepted via email no later than Aug. 31, 2018, 11:59 PM Central Standard Time.
Who May Apply
- The LHSA Photography Grant is open to photographers, from any country worldwide, who are at least 18 years old on or before July 31, 2018. You do not have to be a member of LHSA to apply.
- Use of a Leica camera is not required.
- Images must be the work and property of the photographer. Any required releases are the responsibility of the photographer.
- The photographic project may be new or in progress and must be completed within one year of being awarded.
- By entering, you agree to release and hold harmless the LHSA and its officers, directors, and agents from and against any claim or cause of action arising out of participation in the Contest.
- Officers and Directors of LHSA and past winners are not eligible to enter.
- Application Fee
- $25.00 USD (paid online at lhsa.org)
- Project Proposal and Bio
- LHSA will accept a series of photographs that are presented as a unified project in any photographic genre.
- The application consists of two main items:
- One Page project statement with a short bio
- A portfolio.
- Include the following information, in this order, in the heading of your project statement/bio:
- Applicant’s Name · address · phone · email
- Project Title
- Artist Bio
- Project Description
- A written proposal of no more than 800 words that describes the purpose and nature of the project and how you will accomplish the project.
- How do you plan to spend the grant funds? A budget detailing expenses you expect to incur during the completion of the project.
- Supporting Documentation
- A link to your website (if you have one)
- Image Requirements
- Applications must include a portfolio of up to 20 images that illustrate the nature of your project
- Image file name must include Photographer’s name and title with a sequence number.
- Images must be jpeg files at 1080px on the longest side and no larger than 3 megabytes
Shall be sent via e-mail to email@example.com, with your first and last name and LHSA PHOTOGRAPHY GRANT 2018 in the subject line.
- Applications will be initially screened by a panel of judges selected by LHSA. 10-15 of the top applications will be sent to our jury of distinguished photographers for final selection: Craig Semetko, Maggie Steber, and Peter Turnley. All decisions will be final.
- LHSA reserves the right to amend grant rules and submission guidelines.
- LHSA reserves the right to not award the grant if in the sole judgment of the jury there is no submission warranting a grant.
NOTIFICATION OF AWARD, DISBURSEMENT OF FUNDS & DEADLINE FOR COMPLETION
- Grant recipient(s) shall be selected and notified by e-mail or telephone before the 2018 Annual Meeting.
- Recipients will be invited to the annual meeting. All costs of attending other than registration fees will be the responsibility of the winner.
- Grant funds will be disbursed in two portions. $4000 up-front prior to project completion. The remaining $1000 will be disbursed upon completion of the project and upon receipt of a Project Report/ photo essay in digital form for the LHSA website.
- Grant recipients are expected to provide a brief follow-up report/blog post/photo essay upon completion of the project that describes how the project progressed, and which provides a detailed explanation of how funds were used.
- Final Project reports must be submitted within a year of the award disbursement.
COPYRIGHT & USE OF IMAGES
The grant recipient retains all copyright and ownership of images submitted and resulting from the project. By accepting the grant, the award winner agrees to allow LHSA – The International Leica Society to feature the final project on its website and quarterly journal for the promoting both the project and grant.
All questions about the contest shall be directed to LHSA at this email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.