Image by Scott Brennan, winner of 2019 LHSA Photo Grant
The fourth annual LHSA Photography Grant in the amount of $5,000 has been established to provide financial support for deserving photographers who are in the process of creating or completing a personal photographic project and to provide opportunities for their work to be seen by a larger audience.
The number of applications will be limited to fifty (50). All applications must adhere closely to the application requirements. If an application does not follow the requirements as outlined, it will be rejected.
All applications will be submitted online via the link below. Please read the guidelines below:
- The LHSA Photography Grant is open to photographers will be at least 18 years old on or before July 31, 2020. You do not have to be a member of LHSA to apply.
- If the applicant has received a grant from any other entity for the same project, the project is not eligible.
- Use of a Leica camera is not required. Membership in LHSA is not required
- Images must be the work and property solely of the photographer. Any required releases are the responsibility of the photographer.
- The photographic project may be new or in progress and must be completed within one year of being awarded unless LHSA agrees to an extension.
- By entering, you agree to release and hold harmless LHSA and its officers, directors, and agents from and against any claim or cause of action arising out of participation in the Grant.
- Officers and Directors of LHSA and past grant recipients are not eligible to enter.
- Deadlinefor entries: September 14, 2020.
Payment of Application Fee: $30.00 USD
- Applicant’s Name · address · phone · email
- Project Title:
- Project Description: A one-page written proposal that describes the purpose and nature of the project and how you will accomplish it.
- Grant funds budget: A budget detailing expenses you expect to incur during the completion of the project.
- Any applicable website/social media links
- Applications must include a portfolio of 10 images that illustrate the project
- Each image file name must include the Photographer’s name, title, and a sequence number. (i.e.: smith[title]01
- Ten to fifteen applications will be selected by an LHSA selection panel to be sent to our jury of distinguished photographers for final selection. Finalist jurors include Craig Semetko, Maggie Steber, Sara Terry, and Peter Turnley. All decisions of the selection panel or the judges will be final.
- LHSA reserves the right to amend grant rules and submission guidelines.
- LHSA reserves the right not to award a grant if in the sole judgment of the jury there is no submission warranting a grant.
- The grant winner will be announced at the LHSA Virtual Conference and Annual Meeting Oct 9 – 10, 2020.
- The recipient will be featured in LHSA’s prestigious quarterly journal, Viewfinder, and will be considered for an exhibition at a Leica Store or Gallery in North America.
NOTIFICATION OF AWARD, DISBURSEMENT OF FUNDS & DEADLINE FOR COMPLETION
- Grant recipient(s) shall be selected and notified by e-mail or telephone before the 2020 Annual Meeting.
- Recipients will be invited to attend the LHSA annual meeting (virtual in 2020) and make a short presentation
- Grant funds will be disbursed in two portions. $4000 up-front prior to project completion. The remaining $1000 will be disbursed upon completion of the project and upon receipt of a Project Report/ photo essay in digital form for the LHSA website.
- Grant recipients are expected to provide a brief follow-up report/blog post/photo essay upon completion of the project that describes how the project progressed, and which provides a detailed explanation of how funds were used.
- Final Project reports must be submitted within a year of the award disbursement unless extended by LHSA.
COPYRIGHT & USE OF IMAGES
The grant recipient retains all copyright and ownership of images submitted and resulting from the project. By accepting the grant, the award winner agrees to allow LHSA – The International Leica Society, to feature the final project on its website and quarterly journal or otherwise to promote LHSA, the project, and grant.
All questions about the contest shall be directed to LHSA at this email address: email@example.com.